SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 9 19:41:45 PST 2001

Sunraven wrote:

> OOOO. I never heard that slogan. Um.  I certainly hoe someone um,
> thought better of it!  LOL!

Oh, no, it's real, or at least it was. It was in direct response to the
"Virginia is for Lovers" bumper stickers, T-shirts, etc. In the same
font, laid out the same way, except the text as described and instead of
a red heart there was a red crab. I was just wondering if the Maryland
Travel Board, or whoever was responsible, was still pushing the slogan.

> But I am definitely off topic, here, so I'll hush now.  Although, I'm
> sure that, if the folk of the Medieval times had access to a good crab
> feast, they would have loved it!

Recipe sources suggest they had access, and they probably did love it.
Roasted or boiled lobsters, crabs, crayfish and shrimp could all be
eaten with vinegar, or removed from the shell and used in more complex
preparations.

> Where else do you begin eating at, oh,
> 11 AM or so--and continue, sporadically, until midnight?  It's not that
> you get full--you get bored and tired of picking crab meat out of the
> shell!  But, oh, yum--and beer is the ONLY drink worth the name at a
> crab feast.  Ice cold, thank you very much, and plentiful. Ah, sigh.
> But it's been many, many years since I was there, and my last crab feast
> was when I was young and feckless. Ah, well!

Were you on the list a couple of weeks ago when we discussed foods that
required families to prepare and eat them? Foods like real barbecue, of
whichever religious barbecue sect you belong to (pulled pork, smoky
beef, etc.), real clam bakes, and so on? A Crab Boil is probably another
such activity. I remember an old recipe that cautions the cook not to
feel sorry for the crabs as they boil; after all, "they'd bite you hard
if they could". The same recipe counsels dressing in bathing attire,
spreading out newspapers instead of table linen, and a gentle
sufficiency of iced beer. Hard to think where the flaw might be in this
advice. Please let me know if you find it.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com