SC - Urgent Chinese Wheat Noodle Recipe question

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Jan 11 04:14:33 PST 2001

Drake & Meliora wrote:

> An Urgent question Folks,
>
> Does anyone have a good modern description for making Modern Chinese Wheat
> Noodles.  I have included the recipe (from Ni Tsan) below but am unsure of
> the quantities of flour, salt, and water used or of the method of kneading
> used.  If someone has done this recipe (or modern chinese recipe) before,
> any insight would be appreciated.
>
>From The Ultimate Authority, Florence Lin, for whom my lady wife will
grudgingly admit respect, despite her being a Northerner ;  )...

"HOMEMADE CHINESE EGGLESS NOODLES - BAI MIAN

<snip preamble to recipe blah blah>

"Yield: 1 1/4 pounds

"3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 teaspoons corn oil or peanut oil
1 cup water, approximately

"Mix and knead the dough by hand or in a food processor. Let it rest,
covered with plastic wrap, for 30 minutes if done by hand and for 1 hour
if done in a food processor.

"Roll and cut the dough by hand or with a pasta machine."

>From "Florence Lin's Complete Book of Chinese Noodles, Dumplings, and
Breads", ©1986 Florence Lin, pub. William Morrow, New York, ISBN
0-688-03796-8. I've snipped various parenthetical references to recipes
on other pages of the book. Let me know if you want her instructions for
kneading by hand, etc., but my own observation is that all noodle doughs
of this kind should be kneaded until satiny smooth in texture, elastic,
and not at all sticky. I would say the Ni Tsan recipe below seems to
describe a very specific noodle diameter/width, for the cooking
directions to apply. I would suggest cooking them until they're done. ;
)

> If one wants to cat the noodles at noon, at dawn use salted water to make up
> a (wheat flour) dough. Knead thirty or twenty times. Cover and let stand. In
> a short while, repeat. Do this with the dough four times. Sprinkle fine
> starch powder on a board, toll the dough out and cut up. To cook: Bring
> water to a boil, stir, and put in the noodles. When the water boils again,
> cover the fire. Turn up the fire again, let boil, then take out and put in
> broth.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy