SC - Sugar burns (was Re: Attn: Olwen - Plat's Cast Sugar Notes)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 14 11:30:50 PST 2001

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Adamantius asked:
> > Andrea, I've told you my boiling-pastry-cream-napalm story, haven't I?
>
> I don't believe we've heard it on this list. Please tell it.

Remember Sean Connery in "Outland", where, for story purposes, he has
occasion to stick his hand into a deep-fryer?

Owing to various combined circumstances, most of which involved bad
design, when I was in culinary school I was standing in the middle of a
crowd of other students, kind of wedged into a corner, when a
steam-jacketed kettle filled with a milk-and-sugar syrup for making
pastry cream began to boil vigourously over, beginning to shower
everybody with more-than-boiling sugar syrup foam. Again, due to bad
design, the power switch was right under the puring lip of the kettle,
and I reached with my bare (wet) hand into the stream to turn off the
power. People said the could still hear my hand sizzling after I had
removed it from the area of the kettle and went off to say swear words.
Luckily, between callouses and furry arms, I wasn't badly burned.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com