digby's fruitcake was Re: SC - Cheesecake judgingLaurels/Competitions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 16 04:06:58 PST 2001

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> so if I took my little package of imported German ale yeast that I've been
> saving for just this experiment, made a sponge, and used that? or just
> proof it for a good half hour?

I'd say, lacking other, additional knowledge, try doing what Digby did,
which, circumstantial evidence suggests, was to use the yeast
foam/sludge from very actively fermenting ale, or perhaps yeast that, in
its ale environment, is beginning to run out of sugar but is still
looking, rather than deciding to go dormant. What I did was to dissolve
some malt syrup in water, pitch some Munton and Fisson ale yeast, and
wait for it to go crazy, which took several hours. The first time I did
this, I was unprepared for such a wait; it was one of those situations
where I didn't want to put the cake in the oven at 3AM, so I probably
put it in the oven after starting the 1/2 hour clock too soon... in
other words, yes, I waited half an hour after mixing and kneading my
dough, but I think my sponge needed to have been more well-developed
before making the dough for the first batch.

> >Indeed it does. In my darker moments, as I became more intimate with
> >this cake recipe than I may want to in the near future, I feared a
> >resemblance to every supermarket's generic "iced spice cookies"
> >(something about the icing), but when fresh, it is infinitely more
> >aromatic and rich, and by the light of day wiser counsel prevails.
>
> I found in my hands, if left out for more than a day or so, it lost much of
> its appeal. (well, not ALL of the appeal, just that it wasnt the SAME!!!
> you know? :))

Yeah, I agree completely about its being better when warm. On the other
hand, when cool, it has a verrry kewl sort of lardy-cake texture,
between the almonds and the butter, a little like room-temperature,
coarse, homemade cornbread in mouth feel.

> I loved the photos of the ship!! did you say you made the mold yourself?
> -AM

I actually had a friend make it to my specs, out of 18-gauge mild steel.
It is in three pieces, with a flat bottom curving up slightly like a ski
at the bough, the stern folded up at a right angle from the bottom, then
a port side and a starboard side, all held together with bolts and wing
nuts through strategically placed tabs. You have to line it carefully
with parchment paper, as it's not watertight.  I thought seriously of
submitting the pan to the A&S exhibit in Ateno's name, suitably
documented, but as it was his van, I didn't think I'd get away with it.
He was a little busy becoming a brewing laurel that day, anyway ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com