SC - Cheesecake judging Laurels/Competitions

harper at idt.net harper at idt.net
Tue Jan 16 18:38:27 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 15 Jan 01, , that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Obviously a great deal of work went into every entry. From what I saw of
> each, Lady Oksana did a lovely tableful of fancifully varied stuff, with
> a large arch of what appeared to be feathers from where I was standing,

It was a swan.  She also had a chicken (a real, roasted chicken),
with an apple for a head, "riding" on a papier mache steed, and
brandishing a wooden spoon as a lance.  And she had a boar's
head sculpted of ground meat, I think.  Delightful, creative, and
humorous.

> Baron Joram did what appeared to be a sort of treasure-chest theme, with
> an assortment of boxes, jars and urns containing various dishes, some
> gilded sugar-plate, etc.

I believe I would label his the prettiest display, though I wonder
about the authenticity of certain items, like the molded hard-candy
"jewels".

> I finally did one ship, just under three feet
> long, sailing between small islands made of single-serving cakes of the
> same Digby fruitcake.

You get my vote for yummiest.  I tasted many (too many) delicious
things on all the tables, but the fruitcake was very nearly addictive.

> Lady Andrea MacIntyre did another truly magnificent display, focused on
> the spice trade and the Age of Exploration.

Splendid, delicious, and impeccably researched.  She had dishes
from almost every major European cuisine.  You can't see it very
well in the photo, but the ship atop her display was incredibly
detailed, with a wood-colored marzipan railing on the quarterdeck,
and the Eastrealm arms on the ship's sides.  Fruit-leather banners
flew from the masts, above the pita-bread sails.  Very, very
impressive.

> All in all, competitions aren't my
> favorite venue for achievement or, for that matter, recognition,

I have been very happy about the regular A&S exhibitions at
Eastern events lately.  It gives me an opportunity to show off, share
what I know, and get feedback, all in a comfortable way.  I am one
of those people who gets anxious and stressed in competitions.  I
like recognition (is there anyone who doesn't?), but I am perfectly
happy to get it in informal, non-competetive ways.

For me, as a spectator, the Subtlety Battle was inspiring, and
made me want to try all kinds of new things.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net