SC - Re: motives for entering competitions...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Jan 17 07:40:06 PST 2001

- --------------06448FA4F20BD1DA19FE69DA

Having a Japanese persona, often I enter things that are Japanese in nature.
One year, at Gulf Wars, I entered an uchichikake, which is a kimono that is worn
over several other layers, and is usually quite ornate.  I had decorated this
one with an appliqued design of nori leaves (sheets of seaweed), tied into a
bundle.  It was done with various ornamental fabrics and embroidery.  I sent
along a two-page article documenting what I had done, including explanatiions of
what the garment was, etc.  I included information that there were no extant
examples of these from the period in question, so I could not supply
photographs.  The commentary I received complained that I hadn't supplied
photographs, and that they didn't like the design (a traditional Japanese
design!).  I got the feeling that they didn't even bother to read what I had
said in what I had written.  I've hesitated ever since to enter anything
Japanese in competitions, especially where I don't know the judges!

Kiri

Jenne Heise wrote:

> > I don't generally indulge in "me toos" but in this case I'll make an
> > exception regards 1 and 2.  There can be other reasons however.
>
> Yes. I entered my first big competition last year to get feedback.
> However, that is a dice shoot because you may have the experience, as I
> did, that most of the judges don't have enough time to even read your
> documentation carefully, much less give you good feedback. *sigh*
> So don't set your heart on getting good feedback.
>
> On the other hand, displays, and to some extent competititions, are a
> great way to display stuff people should know more about, too. ;)
>
> --
> Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise        jenne at tulgey.browser.net
> disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me.
> "Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
> beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"

- --------------06448FA4F20BD1DA19FE69DA

Having a Japanese persona, often I enter things that are Japanese in nature.
One year, at Gulf Wars, I entered an <i>uchichikake</i>, which is a kimono
that is worn over several other layers, and is usually quite ornate.
I had decorated this one with an appliqued design of nori leaves (sheets
of seaweed), tied into a bundle.  It was done with various ornamental
fabrics and embroidery.  I sent along a two-page article documenting
what I had done, including explanatiions of what the garment was, etc.
I included information that there were no extant examples of these from
the period in question, so I could not supply photographs.  The commentary
I received complained that I hadn't supplied photographs, and that they
didn't like the design (a traditional Japanese design!).  I got the
feeling that they didn't even bother to read what I had said in what I
had written.  I've hesitated ever since to enter anything Japanese
in competitions, especially where I don't know the judges!
case I'll make an
as I
jenne at tulgey.browser.net
how