SC - Churros was Re: digby's fruitcake

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 09:53:49 PST 2001

> >Stefan li Rous wrote:
> >  > So what is a "Churro"? Or a "Rosette"? Recipe and redaction? Perhaps
> >  > "Churro" is more of a Californian term?
>
> selene at earthlink.net responded:
> >
> >  As for Churros:  it's more of a Mexican term, I thought they had
> >these in Texas?
> >Maybe not, maybe its more Cal-Mex than Tex-Mex.  Anyway.

<recipe snip>

> >I got really peevish
> >about the churros stand at the local Renaissance Faire, not because
> >of non-period
> >food [for once] but for the non-period nomenclature.  Even a calligraphed sign
> >reading something like "Spanish Cryspes" would have been an improvement.
>
> Mexican? I think not! Just back from al-Andalus where a common
> breakfast is churros dipped in hot chocolate, which is almost like
> hot chocolate pudding. Churros are the "national" breakfast of
> Andalucia. There are shops that sell nothing but churros and hot
> coffee and hot chocolate from 7 AM to around 11 AM. There are churro
> "pushcarts" in the plazas. A length of dough is extruded into hot oil
> and it curls into a loop (not a circle); to eat, you break the churro
> at the curve and dip in your milky coffee or hot chocolate.
>
> I think the Mexicans got the churros from the Spanish who got the hot
> chocolate from the Mexicans, a pretty good exchange.
>
> Anahita al-shazhiyya al-Andalusiyya

I stand corrected, or at least I sit corrected.  Churros and Chocolate, a
cross-oceanic treat that was meant to be!But they still didn't belong at the
Renaissance Pleasure Faire, whose costume police and other disagreeable authority
figures enforce the scenario of an English country gathering at a time where the
English and the Spanish were at war.  Nonono, completely wrong.  They would have
strung up those Spanish by their heels, not eaten their pastries.

Oh, and welcome back!!  What other dainties did you enjoy in al-Andalus?

Selene
selene at earthlink.net