SC - Homemade period noodles/pasta

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 11:59:33 PST 2001

>I'd have to check which reference it came from, but I
>also have a great recipe for period gnocci.  Instead
>of potatos, they are based on flour and cheese.  In
>camp, we sit around the pot of boiling water with our
>spoons and drop the dough in to the pot.  As they
>rise, we fish them out, sprikle a little hard cheese
>and have at!  I'll check for the reference if anyone
>wants.
>
>M. Elenore Armstrong

There's a recipe for them in "The Medieval Kitchen" by Redon et al.

I was thrilled to see it, as i had a similar recipe that i'd save
from either "Woman's Day" or "Family Circle", cheapie women's
magazine, back in the early 1970's. I really don't care for potato
gnocchi, but ricotta gnocchi is wonderful and i lost the recipe at
least 2 decades ago and missed it. Then someone served the Medieval
Kitchen recipe at a feast, apologizing because he, an Italian, felt
they hadn't come out right. I scarfed up my share and longed for
more, because they were so like the old recipe i'd had.

Anahita al-shazhyya