SC - Homemade period noodles/pasta

Robbin Long rlong at srrc.ars.usda.gov
Wed Jan 17 10:37:18 PST 2001

Hello,

I have been lurking for a bit, but I think I can help with this.  I haven't tried my hand with period recipes, yet, but I make my own pasta for mundane cooking.

If you are cooking pasta right after making it, allow only a 30 sec to 2 min cook time, depending, of course on the thickness and shape of the noodle.  Experiment a little with this until you find a time that gives a good consistency.  Try to stick with durum or semolina flour in your noodles (the two terms are not necessarily interchangeable, but both will work), as it gives a noodle that will stand up to the boil without falling apart.  Be absolutely sure to get the liquid to boiling before adding the noodles and monitor them closely.

As for storage - in the short term, they keep very well fresh in the fridge for up to a week, but longer than that and they get mushy and may mold.  Use a tupperware container that allows a little air space, rather than a plastic bag.  For slightly longer term, dry the noodles in a dry place - those in humid climes may wish to do this in a very low oven - for one to two hours (dry and somewhat stiff, but still pliable), then bag them and freeze them.  They will keep up to two months.  You can also completely dry the pasta (@24 hours) and store it in a sealed brown paper bag in the pantry for several weeks, but I notice a big drop in taste by this method.  If the pasta is dried thoroughly, even egg-based mixtures can be stored this way.

If you want to be period, then I would continue to roll and cut the pasta as you are doing.  Alternatively, if you can find it, there is a ridged board that is used to cut Japanese soba and udon noodles in a traditional style that dates back into our period.  However, if you want to abandon technique for ease, I really think there is absolutely no substitute for a Mercato Atlas 150 hand-crank pasta machine.  Extruded noodles are simply not the same as the rolled and cut.  The texture becomes firmer and more substantial from the rolling process.  Expect to pay anywhere from $29-$65 depending where you shop.

How are they different - taste mainly.  There really is no comparison.  I especially prefer them in baked pasta dishes, as it is not necessary to pre-boil them, and they absorb flavor more readily.

Hope this helps.

Broinnfhionn