SC - OT - Drake's Aussie BBQ

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Jan 19 06:59:00 PST 2001

I've been to those.  In fact, occasionally someone in Atlantia will do one as
part of a feast....only without the OOP sauce.

It does, however, bring to mind the mumu's I attended while living in Papua New
Guinea.  That consisted of a pit, which was first lined with VERY hot rocks
which had been heated in a fire.  Then came a layer of banana leaves (PNG waxed
paper!), followed by meats of various sorts (sausages, chicken, mostly...most of
these folk couldn't afford a pig) and lots of veggies.  Then coconut milk was
poured over the whole thing, more banana leaves placed on top, followed by more
hot rocks and then dirt to seal it.  This thing cooked all day, and, by the
evening when all was done, it was heavenly!

Kiri