SC - Re: First feasts

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 19 14:33:02 PST 2001

sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> Now _there's an interesting potential topic....so, everyone, what didy'all do for _your_ first feast?
- --Maire >>>>>>

It was a drizzly January weekend in a tiny site near Macon GA.  They all said a collegium at a screened in building site was daft!  No one would come!  150 people came for the 35 class schedule or great instrutors and 120 ate at my 1st feast:  16x18 kitchen open to the hall; one home type kitchen electric stove with two workings range eyes (the large one heated only to medium); stove turned out to have broken since the scouting mission and would only heat to 265F; two electric outlets could be used without tripping the breakers.  We added two 18 quart table-top roasters and a propane burner outdoors to  cook:

cheese, olives, phyllo-ricotta-spinach-feta pies, bread
spinach flurry (cream cheese, butter, milk, reduced...add dried slivered beef and spinach; serve in bread bowls . . . they demanded I go to the store and make more . . . regional favorite from one of my assistants, god love him!)

Roasted beef (whole sirloin tips)
buttered noodles with grated cheese
salad of spinach and lettuce with vinagrette dressing

Whole roasted turkeys
True saffron rice
some vegetable

a great big decorated cake for the them of the event with little
puff pastry swans filled with pastry creme(?)

It was a testiment all around to the glory of accomplishment of friends united.  About 6 people pulled it off and had a blast doing it.  I found that weekend the true treasure of the friends I had made, and come to think of it, they are all still in my life!  thanks for the question and the recurrance of the memories.  That weekend is why I now still cook with and for people in our hobby.

niccolo difrancesco