SC - Re: Pie Shells

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Jan 19 15:57:39 PST 2001

Back in November (that's how far back I am on the list), the question
was raised whether pie shells were ever blind baked in period. I
can't think of any Italian examples (which was the context the
question was coming out of), but there is an example in the Herbelade
recipe in Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books. The recipe describes
how to make the filling and then:

"than make fayre round cofyns, and harde hem a lytel in the ovyn;
than take hem owt, and with a dysshe in thin hond, fylle hem fulle of
the Stuffe; than sette hem ther-in a-gen; and lat hem bake y-now, and
serue forth."

Elizabeth/Betty Cook