SC - La Varenne

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 21 07:36:05 PST 2001

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> In my search for recipes for the Boar Hunt, someone on the list sent
> me a recipe or two from La Varenne, apparently a famous and
> influential French chef of the mid-17th century.
>
> I've been searching on the web for his book, the title of which is, i
> think, Le cuisiner francois or  Le cuisiner francais. So far, no luck.
>
> Anyone know where i can find more of his recipes?

Oh, Anne-Marie, he said in dulcet tones... I believe she's playing your song...

I believe there are some adapted La Varenne recipes in Wheaton's
"Savoring the Past", as well as some in [is it???] C. Anne Wilson's or
Anne Willan's [I forget which] "Great Chefs and Their Recipes", I believe.

I'm not aware of any editions of either "Le Cuisinier Francois" (~1650
C.E.) or "Le Patissier Francois" (1655 C.E.), or their English
translations published shortly thereafter, currently in print. I believe
some libraries might have microfiches of the English editions, though.

As I recall, though, the turkey stuffed with raspberries kicks major keister.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com