SC - Fruit Query

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 10:54:31 PST 2001

Lady Lucrezia-Isabella di Freccia wrote:
>I was browsing through the Tacuinum Sanitatis last night and came across an
>entry of "jujubes", a small fruit (the picture shows 2 people knocking plum
>sized fruits off a tree). Is this a name for some other fruit? I've never
>heard of it before.

Etymology:
Middle English, jujube fruit, from Old French, from Medieval Latin
jujuba, from Latin zizyphum, from Greek zizuphon.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html
http://www.vegweb.com/glossary/docs/80.shtml
The text on these two pages is similar but not identical - they have
different recipes, too.

http://www.eat-it.com/jujube.htm

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/j/jujube10.html
has the entry from Mrs. Grieve's Modern Herbal from earlier in the 20th century

Apparently there is also commercial jujube honey from New Zealand and
jujube wine from China.

I have seen the fresh fruit for sale in Asian food markets (around
here we cover from Southwest Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, East
Asia, and the various Pacific Islands)

Anahita al-shazhiyya