SC - flavors was Rouladen

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 12:20:25 PST 2001

>Bonne of Traquair wrote:
>anise is a scribal error.  (If Cariadoc
> > can say it about saffron, I can say it about anise.)
>
>Ooh! And I will say it about cilantro! (Bleah! Tastes like soap!)
>
>'Lainie

I felt the same way about cilantro leaves and about fresh ginger.  I hadn't
eaten either growing up, and when I first tried them as an adult, they were
both soapy to me.  Then I married Tony, who was in charge of dinner for the
first few years we were married and he used them both so I ate them.  I
gradually grew to tolerate, then like, then demand these two ingredients.  I
actively seek them out, and find excues to use them.

Anise, on the other hand, I disliked from childhood.  I don't like licorice
or fennel much either.   And despite years of having these flavors in my
foods, I've never grown to like them and as the cook will leave them out or
at least cut them to the most minimal amount.

Funny that I can adjust to the first group, but not the second group.   And
it's not just the association with true love and dinner that I didn't have
to cook. Tony also uses the licorice flavored spices often, or would if I
weren't so pouty and grouchy about it.

Bonne