SC - flavors was Rouladen

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 22:58:32 PST 2001

> > Anise, on the other hand, I disliked from childhood.
>
>There seems to be a certain set of people who simply dislike the
>licorice-flavored seeds intensely. It's so consistent that I sometimes
>wonder if it is genetic.

Perhaps it is. I recall a high school biology lab about the ability to taste
certain flavors being genetic.  Part of the lab was a slip of paper coated
with some particular flavor componant in coffee that we touched to our
tongues.  about 1 / 3 the class gagged and ran for the sinks and water
fountains, while the rest of us wondered who they though they were fooling
as the paper had no flavor.  I even tasted the opposite end of my lab-mate's
paper and she refused to beleive I couldn't taste anything.  After the
horrors of whatever was on her paper, she wasn't willing to taste the other
end of my paper.  After recording our responses to that, we answered the
question: do you like coffee?  Those that tasted nothing on the paper almost
invariably liked coffee.  Those who gagged, dis-liked coffee.

Lady Bonne