SC - filet mignon OOP

Trierarch at aol.com Trierarch at aol.com
Tue Jan 23 20:51:39 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/23/01 7:41:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
ahrenshav at yahoo.com writes:

<< Would someone give me a definitive explanation of what
 filet mignon is?

The Filet Mignon is the Tenderloin or center back.  The common cuts of meat
from this area are the Porterhouse, T-Bone, New York Strip or Top Loin Steak,
Tenderloin Roast and Tenderloin Steak or Filet Mignon.  It is very possible
that you received one of two things.  You might possibly have received a
"mock" tenderloin, which is essentially the eye of a round steak, but it is
most often a round piece of meat.  Or you might have received a portion of a
New York cut in a lower grade of beef, which is usually more square and a bit
tougher, over cook it, and it will be very tough  The Beef Tenderloin
depending on the size of the loin, is usually round, however, I have used
Tenderloins which were a lot closer to being square than round.  The cooking
process for Tenderloins is pretty specific, you over cook it, and it will not
be much better than a good piece of sirloin.  Any place serving a tenderloin
less than an inch thick, and that are not Medallions of tenderloin, are
either really cheap, or don't care.  At least you didn't have to pay for it.

THL Donegal Arias Massalla, CAID