SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2922

Ron and Laurene Wells tinyzoo at home.com
Fri Jan 26 09:33:37 PST 2001

At 07:17 PM 1/25/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:06:32 -0800
>From: "E. Rain" <raghead at liripipe.com>
>Subject: SC - Jujube Fruit
>
>somhow I missed this thread until today.
>I was very excited on our trip to Europe this fall to discover jujubes at
>one of the upscale groceries in Paris.  of course I bought them :-> sadly I
>had no period recipes with me to try them in, so we just ate them raw to
>know what we were dealing with.  they're kind of like bland hyper-pectiny
>apples.  they start out with a green apple like skin (though shaped like a
>large date) and slowly turn brown to look more & more date like.  Next time
>I'll try & cook them.  No I didn't try to bring any home - I was going to be
>in Italy another 3 weeks & bringing back foods through customes is
>problematic anyway.
>
>wonderful to know that you can now order the tree here in the States!
>
>Eden - any year now I'm gonna start that medieval garden...

Guess I could give all you folks the web address to Oregon
Exotics.  http://www.exoticfruit.com/
They don't have an online catalog (yet? - it's been over a year since they
put up their web page and still no online catalog) but you can order a
printed catalog online.  I highly recommend anyone who is interested in #1)
edible plants, #2) exotic plants #3) historical plants get one of their
catalogs!  They are very interesting to read.  Very impressive
collection!  I finally got to order 2 fig trees from them.  They are still
dormant, so I won't get to see their leaves until Spring.  But I'm excited
about them!  One is a Seedless Jelly Fig, which I'm hoping will appeal more
to my children, as they claim not to like the seeds in figs.  I love the
flavor of a fresh fig!!  Never had one until a couple years ago, and ever
after that I just HAD to have a tree!  So I got one tree with seeds and one
without.

- -Laurene

        COME SEE OUR WEB SITE!
           http://welcome.to/tinyzoo