SC - OT OOP New Year Menu

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 26 12:11:09 PST 2001

Hullo, the list!

I had written a rather long, detailed account of the proceedings, which
appears to have been eaten by a crash of the PPP protocol software I use
to get online.

Instead, for now, anyway, here are the menus for [the Lunar] New Year's
Eve and New Year's Day. A lot of this stuff may actually have made it
into the Florilegium by now, for all I know...

More details in response to specific questions, if any, when I get the chance...

[*The Usual Suspects, traditional dishes for the two days, cooked before
sundown Tuesday, but actually eaten, for the most part, after sundown Wednesday]

Tuesday Evening, New Year's Eve

* "White-cut" Poached Chicken with ginger & scallion oil dip and
Szechuan peppercorn salt

Any Shrimp Dish (In this case, peeled baby shrimp marinated with light
soy, wine, ginger and cornstarch, dry-sauteed with shredded baby ginger
and fried shallot slices)

*Two Fried Fish and Two Steamed Lop Cheung [Sweet Chinese Sausages]

Plain Sauteed Baby Bok Toy, cooked in peanut oil infused with ginger and
bruised garlic cloves; I opted out of the drizzle of oyster sauce before
service as I decided the toy was sweet and good on its own

Steamed White Rice

Longan (a fruit similar to lichees), oranges, and pistachios

Wednesday, New Year's Day

More Steamed Rice

Jai, a.k.a. Buddhist Delight

*Soy Sauce Chicken

Iron Steak with Black Mushrooms

Hibiscus-Flower Shrimp, sort of like Egg-White Fu Yeung With  Baby
Shrimp, but puffy like a souffle

*Sliced Red-Cooked Beef Shin with Five Spices

*The Aforementioned Two Fried Fish with the Two Steamed Lop Cheung, plus
extra Lop Cheung

Twice-Cooked Pork; boneless, rind-on pork belly red-cooked in the
soy-sauce braising liquid also used for the beef shin and the soy-sauce
chicken, then chilled, pressed, sliced and sauteed with a spicy
bean-paste glaze and diced red Bell pepper, with a coddled egg on top
and Spam... okay, no coddled egg and Spam. I got carried away.

Fried Oysters with a little turmeric in the batter so they'd look like
gold coins, served with sweet-and-sour ginger pickle sauce and Szechuan
peppercorn salt

Fried Jumbo Shrimp marinated and rolled in rice flour before frying,
topped with lemon sauce which was really a thin, pourable, lemony
mayonnaise, and candied nuts. Normally walnuts, but this time, almonds.
Served on top of blanched broccoli florettes.

Dan Mein, the very fine Cantonese egg noodles that real chow mein is
made with, blanched in hot oil to prevent sticking, boiled and served
cold with blanched bean sprouts, scallions, shredded chicken, and spicy
peanut and sesame dressing

Pickles: shredded, pickled bamboo shoots in chili oil, pickled gherkins
in soy sauce, sweet pickled shallots, and spicy pickled shrimp with
shredded green papaya, packed in jar of chili sauce. From Vietnam, I
think. Bought 'em because they looked kewl.

Followed by oranges, various chilled fruits in syrup, red pistachios,
peanut candy, and an agar-based milk jelly, almond-flavored. Very much
like white leach, in fact, except for the few drops of red vegetable
coloring to avoid the rather solemn white it would otherwise have been.
Okay, pink leach.

We didn't get to the steamed pork patty with salted duck eggs, nor the
cold preserved-egg & bean curd salad rolled in lettuce leaves. Maybe tomorrow...

Again, hoping everyone has a wonderful New Year,

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com