SC - Myths -- Taillevent

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Fri Jan 26 12:44:24 PST 2001

At 08:56 -0600 2001-01-26, Decker, Terry D. wrote:
> But the OED is "English," and does not necessarily apply to the French.

Quite true.  I noted it to show that by 1380 in England the
word 'squire' had acquired a non-gentry usage.  I don't have
etymological French dictionaries at home, so I can't give you
right now a date for the similar usage in France.

By the way, having had occasion to lean heavily on both the OED
and the various French dictionaries, it is my experience that
the OED is quite often more useful about Old French words and
usage than all of the French dictionaries put together.

> There is some evidence that the French were far more rank concious than the
> English and would be less likely to have yeoman squires.  The use of ecuyer
> as opposed to escuier actually suggests gentry.  The gentry ride, while the
> peasants walk in the dust of the road.

The word 'écuyer' is the modern spelling of 'escuier'.  They are
not two different words.  In the period quotations in Pichon and
Vicaire we find 'escuyer' and 'escuier' used interchangeably.

By the way, the original root of the word is "shield bearer"
(cf. escutcheon), and is not related to horses or riding.

Being a member of the gentry is not a temporary condition.  Once
you are in, you stay in.  Taillevent was first mentioned as an
"écuyer" in 1355.  In 1359, 1361, 1368, 1373, and 1377 he isn't.
He is an "écuyer" again 1381 and 1388.  In 1392 he isn't.  This
is not consistent with an interpretation of "écuyer" as a member
of the gentry.

These mentions generally occur in lists of kitchen staff, which
is where you might expect to find occupational titles and not
indications of social standing.

By the way, 'yeoman' used as a social ranking in England, just
below gentry, has no equivalent in France.

- --
All my best,
Thorvald Grimsson / James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net> (PGP user)