SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2924

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Jan 26 17:26:03 PST 2001

> While I don't discount a loaf of bread from pea flour and pine bark, I would
> judge it to be famine rations or possibly horse bread, rather than a normal
> loaf for human consumption.

The material quoted from the book did indicate that that might be famine
rations. However, I remember barley bread being indicated multiple times
by multiple sources that I consider reliable with regard to the Vikings.

> Hopping beer presumably started around the 12th or 13th Centuries, somewhat
> after the Viking period.

Hm. Hildegarde of Bingen (1098-1179) wrote in her _Physica_ (1151-1158)
of hops 'its bitterness inhibits some spoilage in beverages to which it
is added, making them last longer', and later mentions a recipe 'if you
want to prepare beer from oats, without hops...' (this is from the
translation by Priscilla Throop). So unless the translator or intervening
sources have altered the text, one presumes that hopped beer was known in
Germany by 1160.

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"