SC - Surviving Estrella War

KallipygosRed at aol.com KallipygosRed at aol.com
Sat Jan 27 16:34:31 PST 2001

- --part1_c9.cb49e3a.27a4c317_boundary

In a message dated 1/27/01 12:17:22 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> Aren't these a bit contradictory? How can it be "especially dry" and
> "rain at least one night"?

Not at all. Although to those who do not live in the Sonoran Desert may not
realize it, the desert is generally surounded by mountains, which the Indians
used to say, call the clouds into the basin. And these are not just any
mountains, these are The Rockies. Desert can change temp overnight as much as
70 degrees or better. During the day, due to desert growth, clear skies, and
such, the temperature in winter can get upwards of 90degrees. With a low
humidity rate, the dry heat can creep up on a person. People die here of Heat
Prostration in the *winter* as well as dehydration because of lack of water
intake. Ask any of the Mexican illegals that come across the border at night,
and then experience the heat of the day trying to cross into Arizona for the
United States *better way of life* dream they follow. They die from
*exposure* people...and for good reason. At night, the weather can get nippy
for someone dressed for the hot days. It can drop to freezing, and sometimes
slightly below in winter here. But the coldest month of the year, in terms of
freak snowstorms and icey rain, is April. We have had snow in April four
times in my lifetime. And I mean *snow*...with snowbanks, crashed cars
hitting trees that can't be seen, etc. Like the Pacific Rim snowstorms or
those of Binghamton, New York. After all, those of us native pack rats (the
Arizona term for *born* here) realize that the desert isn't called the desert
because of lack of weather extremes, but because of lack of *water*. Which
poses the second problem with cold weather that turns to wet weather or rain
here. Acidic soil doesn't absorb fluid like wonderful loamy soil in the East
and more wet climes. Consequently, it *runs*...it *floods*...it *pools*.  We
may only get 9" of waterfall, but that 9" joins with another 9" from farther
upstream and joins another, and quite literally can create the waterfall
*wall of water* that sweeps cars away and deposits them miles later under
much mud when the washes fill or flow.... And what could have been a dry wash
only an hour ago runs bank to bank with no warning. People die every year
here, visiting, because they don't realize that barrier signs saying not to
cross during wet or rainy weather means that you may die if you try.Because
we have high mountains that call in the rain, we pick up every Pacific Coast
cloudcover that is meandering by. So weather at night, with rain, can drop
drastically into the teens or single digits. Cold, folks. No matter how you
look at it. And there is never any warning, really, for us whether the
weather clouds of this morning that are idling by so beautifully among all
that blue will burn off into a clear night sky or jumble up into a kicker of
a storm.   If the day is 70 degrees and cloudy, you can guess it might be
warm...in the low 60s or high 50s, if it doesn't rain at night and we keep
the cloud cover. If the clouds go bye-bye, it might be in the 40s or high 30s
on toward morning. But if it rains, its gonna get flat out cold. And stay
that way until about 11am the next day.

As an example, today is January 27, 2001. Clouds came in last night about
10pm. This morning at 8am we had rain. By noon, we had sleet and hail and
temperatures, with wind, that felt icey and hovered about 38 degrees. Its now
5pm. The clouds are clearing off.  We have about an hour of light left. So,
temp may go up a few degrees and stabilize overnight. Tonight, we may be
about 30 or so at lowest...about 4am or so. But if no more clouds come back,
then tomorrow, after noon, we will be about 65-75 degrees. Maybe as high as
80 degrees by 4pm.

All this boils down to coming with clothes that can be layered on or taken
off as the case may be for the Estrella War. Skirts can be doubled or
trippled at night, and many of us have been known to wear long johns under
our Tudors. I have a cloak that doubles as a blanket, with thermal lining. I
have shirts I can wear over thermal undershirts and you can't tell. And I
have boots that are very dry and comfy....

And I drink plenty of fluids.

Larearsi de MacAvoy Morgan
Tucson, Arizona

- --part1_c9.cb49e3a.27a4c317_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  COLOR="#800080" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SERIF" FACE="Collage" LANG="0">In a message dated 1/27/01 12:17:22 AM US Mountain Standard Time,