SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2924

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Jan 29 12:41:33 PST 2001

> Rye was and is the most common grain grown in the extreme northern climates.
> To talk about barley and wheat and ignore rye is, in my opinion, a serious
> omission.  Please note that I did not say they did not make barley bread,
> just that rye was the common grain.

Hm. On which archaelogical studies are you basing the prevalence of rye
over barley?

Interestingly, the Viking Answer lady says:
"Barley was the most commonly grown grain in Sweden in Denmark.
  Rye began being grown in Finland, eastern Sweden and parts of
  Denmark around 1000-1200, although rye production did not become
  widely established until the late Middle Ages. "

She also says:  "Finds at Birka suggest that the most common types of
bread were made with a mixture of barley and some type of wheat, although
bread might also contain other grains, such as spelt, oats, linseed, or
even sprouted peas. Rye was used mostly for baking bread as well. "

Can the person who posted the information about the book give us more
information about the period that they define as 'Viking'? (The
Encyclopedia Britannica defines Vikings as: "Scandinavian seafaring
warriors who raided and colonized wide areas of Europe from the 9th to the
11th century".

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"