SC - My Goose, not yet cooked...

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Mon Jan 29 15:30:20 PST 2001

Was asked:

>Now i'm toying with the idea of cooking goose along with the roast
>pork. Is this a reasonable idea for 80-90 people? Roughly, how many
>people does a modern goose feed

Per Julia Child "Mastering the ARt of French Cooking"  the following Table:

Ready to cook Wt.(lbs.)        # of People        Approx Total Cooking
Time(Unstuffed)
8                                                    6
1 hr. 50 to 55 min.
9                                                    6 to 8
about 2 hrs.
9.5                                                 8 to 9
2 hrs. 10 to 15 min.
10.5                                                9 to 10
2 hrs. 15 to 20 min.
11.5                                                10 to 12
2 hrs.  20 to 30 min.
12.5                                                12 to 14
2 hrs.   30 to 40 min.
For stuffed goose, add from 20 to 40 min. to the times above

This table presumes that the goose would be the main meat course.   That
being said I would suggest the using the higher per person numbers plus an
additional fudge number based on the number of other meat dishs being
served.   You might find one person per ready to cook pound of bird a good
rule of thumb.  Having cooked goose several times myself I find it very
tasty.   It is very rich and produces copious amounts of goose fat,  fat
which has a myrid of culinary uses.  Goose is all dark meat by the way.
Make sure to make good use of the livers.

Daniel Raoul