SC - Newcomer

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 29 20:42:34 PST 2001

Elizabeth said:
> I'm rather new to historical cooking so I though this
> list might be a good place to start.

Welcome to this list!

I found it to be. I joined this list in its first week
and knew only a little about period cooking then. I've
learned a lot since then, often by asking questions.

> I live in England and while I am not as yet a member
> of any group my main area of interest is the cook book
> of apicius, medieval and tudor cookery.

You might find this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section of my
Florilegium files to be useful:
cb-rv-Apicius-msg (37K)  4/20/00    Reviews of cookbooks having Apicius recipes.

>As for the
> rest of the time I am a scientist (industry not
> acadaemia), 23 years old, buying a house and panicing
> about it.  I also embroider and dabble a bit in herbal
> lore.

You might also want to check out these files and similar ones in the
TEXTILE ARTS section:
embroidery-msg    (93K)  8/28/98    Period and SCA embroidery.
embroidery-SW-msg (18K) 11/18/97    Stumpwork. A type of raised embroidery.
emb-blackwork-msg (56K)  7/21/99    Blackwork embroidery.

And these in the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
herbs-msg        (120K)  1/19/01    Herbs used in period and how they
were used.
                                       Modern sources.
herb-uses-msg     (32K)  2/15/00    Uses for various herbs. Recipes.
p-herbals-msg     (39K)  1/10/01    Period herb books. Modern editions.

Also, if you want to get an idea of the organisation that many of us
belong to here, the SCA, take a look at some of the  files in the
NEWCOMERS section. Even if you aren't interested in joining the SCA,
these files might help you understand some of the referances and
event happenings that come up in conversations here.

> After all that I don't really have much time
> left over.

Believe me, I do understand.

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net