SC - SCA rules on serving wine?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 2 18:46:16 PST 2001

micaylah wrote:

> > Hi all, does anyone know what the current SCA rules are for serving
> alcohol
> > at SCA feasts?  I heard rumors for a while that it was banned, but paid no
> > attention since we always end up at dry sites here.  This year however our
> > Baronial Banquet is actually at a wet site, so I need to know what I can &
> > can't do.  I have a barony full of brewers I could tap to provide
> beverages
> > if it's not against the rules.
> > Eden
>
> I suspect this is a geographical thing Eden. As well, I would hazard a guess
> and say that it also depends on the licensing available for the site. I dont
> think there is a current scadian policy on "serving" it with feast. I have
> occasionally however heard rumblings about the BOD raising this issue and
> taking a look at it.
>
> Here in Ealdormere events with alcohol served is almost de rigour and it is
> very rare to see a "dry" site unless of course it is a collegium or
> Practicum of sorts. Our Cantons annual event this year (Feast of the Hare)
> saw an open bar where all the libation was donated by one local brewer. One
> wonders what my good friend Halfdan was thinking when he brewed beer and
> mead for a 300 person event. Good thing tho...he brought the leftovers over
> to my Party the other night!
>
> Im sure there are some writings somewhere though, I myself am not familiar
> with them either however.
>
> Micaylah
>
> I dont think though that sca funds are "allowed" to purchase alcohol, but I
> may be wrong here.

I may be wrong, too, but the last time I checked, the situation was that
no SCA funds could be used to purchase alcohol for drinking at events,
or the wherewithal (i.e. malt, brewer's yeast, wine-making
paraphernalia, etc.) for producing it. Alcohol could, however, be served
at feasts, provided it was either BYOB or donated: the SCA could not be
held responsible or liable for problems related to such usage.

Subsequently, there was an attempt to make the rules more strict, to the
effect that no SCA publication could publish recipes for wines or other
alcoholic beverages, brewers' guilds couldn't have SCa bank accounts,
and a bunch of other stuff. As I recall, however, there was a massive
outcry and the plans to tighten the rules were abandoned.

While the possibility exists that the rules could vary with geography
(and more importantly, borders), I seem to recall hearing that the
rules, as they exist, apply to the SCA overall, because the SCA is
incorporated in the U.S.A. and deals with U.S. insurance companies. U.S.
versus Canadian or other nations' laws weren't an issue. Similarly, any
change in the rules would be equally unilateral.

Or, maybe I imagined it after too much alleged eggnog... ;  )

Or, to put it another way, Roger Clemons, were he to be traded to the
Toronto Blue Jays, would still be guilty of assault upon Mike Piazza
under U.S. law... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy