SC - Tarator (OOP)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 5 12:24:18 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> So, not fond of eggplant eh?  Next time I grill any veggies I believe I
> shall include eggplant and make up a batch of this sauce.  With nuts AND
> garlic, it cann't be bad!

True. Add saffron and crushed chilis and you get rouille, the sauce
served on croutons fried in olive oil, a classic garnish for
bouillabaise. And then you're definitely in the Big Leagues. Actually, I
don't really hate eggplant, it's just that it's not my favorite, and
there's almost always something else around that I like better. The only
food I can think of, offhand, that I absolutely, categorically refuse to
even try are those Philippino fermented embryonic duck eggs. Bagoong?

> One more question.  Was it you that mentioned a book I _think_ called "To
> the Queens Taste" in a response to a question I had about using sugarpaste
> for nut hulls?  I wanted to know about that book.

I'm pretty sure it was Hugh Plat's "Delightes for Ladies". It's part of
Cariadoc's "Collection of Medieval and Renaissance Cookbooks"; I'll see
if I can get a chance to post the relevant material this evening.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com