SC - A Turkish recipe...

Sara K. Tallarovic electricfish at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 5 15:14:41 PST 2001

I have a recipe from a modern cookbook for a Turkish dish called "whiskeyed
chicken livers" or "drunken chicken livers".  It is an absolutely delicious
dish and I have been wondering if it, or any variation of it, may be
documentable in period anywhere in Europe or Asia.  Here is the recipe
(roughly):

Take about a pound of chicken livers, drain them, then marinate them at
least 12 hours in either whiskey OR ouzo (I would imagine you could also
use the Turkish equivalent of ouzo, but the name escapes
me...Arkat?).  After they have marinated, toss them in a mixture of flour,
seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.  Then fry in hot olive oil until
crispy and cooked through.  You serve them on a bed of sauteed onions.  You
can also substitute sliced calf liver for the chicken livers.

I cooked up a batch of these at Estrella one year in a cast iron skillet
over an open fire.  It was a heavenly diversion from the cold feta, olives,
and pita bread we had subsisted on most of the weekend.  I would love to
serve them at a period middle eastern or central asian feast sometime, but
I'd like to be able to document them.  Any one out there heard of this
dish, and could you point me to a source?

Many thanks!
- -Shu'la