SC - Chinese Crab - Charibdys japonica

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 9 18:40:01 PST 2001

Sunraven wrote:

> Gently meet,
>
> I grew up in Baltimore, and crab was a staple in many, many forms
> (smile.)  But if something isn't done, both concerning the
> over-harvesting and the pollution of the bay, we'll loose them, and
> oysters, too.  Yes, it's a pity--but it's real necessary, IMHO.

I agree. My brother lives on a creek off the Chesapeake, and he and
various of his neighbors have been trying to establish oyster beds for
the past couple of years, but so far, to no great success. (Not
necessarily for edible oysters, mind you, but for water filtration.)

Possibly Maryland could post a statewide bounty on the head of Billy
Joel? He is the man who attempted to help the commercial fishermen on
Long Island by organizing a mass dump of undersized striped bass on Long
Island beaches, as a protest of government-enforced size and catch
limits. The resulting drop in harvests sure showed that mean old
government, I'm sure. I'm sure he'd do wonders for your crabs and
oysters, too, if left to his own devices. Lucky for you, he lives closer
to me than to you.

All right, enough cynicism.

Hey, do they still have Maryland Is For Crabs paraphernalia?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com