Saumon Gentil (was: SC - Re: SC- Turkish Food)

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Wed Jan 10 08:05:17 PST 2001

I really do appreciate it, as a cook and as an observer, when folks make an
extra effor to recognise the cooks (beyond the usual huzzah or vivat and
introductions near the end of the feast---do they toast cooks in every part
of the Known World or is that an East-Kindom and clones custom?).

I should metion that I have been accused of working the crowds, but my real
and only intent isn't drummed up glory, but is instead to make sure everyone
is satisfied. I want immediate feedback. If there isn't enough to eat, or
the food wasn't up to par, I want to know right away, not weeks later (when
some gossip whispers in my ear "Did you hear about that terrible feast they
had....). Likewise I try to make it into the kitchen of every event I go to,
just to keep current with the cool things they are doing.

I've seen or gotten spontaneous gifts (esp. jewelry), and was highly
surprised to find myself soundly kissed by a rather dishy and well built
young man once (at eight months pregnant with my extremely extroverted and
well known husband's child, I had to assume it was the food. But the fellow
never said anything, just came in, planted a whopper on me, and then
high-tailed it out of there). Yes indeedy, there are rewards, and then there
are rewards.....

Aoife

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> One of the more tear-jerking moments in my time in the SCA was

Ulf R wrote:
I've seen a lady come into the kitchen, fall on her knees and kiss the
hem of the cooks gown. It *was* an excellent banquet, and Celemon had
done an outstanding job.