SC - stuffed avocados [OOP]

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 10 09:06:13 PST 2001

Mark S. Harris wrote:

> My wife and I went to Trudy's today for lunch. Compared to
> Saturday night, with an hour to an hour and a half wait, we just
> walked in at lunch. Course it was about 1:15 or so.
>
> And my wife had the stuffed avocado and loved it. Unfortunately,
> this was a special item and is only supposed to be there until
> January 14th. My wife is now saying she WILL go back before it
> ends, with or without me. The waiter did say the reason it isn't
> a regular item is that prices on avocados go up and down so much.
> So maybe it will return later.

So do you have any thoughts on its composition, and probable recipe?  Is it
batter-dipped or egg-and-crumb breaded?  Is the stuffing just naked shredded
chicken or is it bound with mayonnaise or other sauce or condiments?  All right,
this is NOT period cooking, but you can't get a bunch of food enthusiasts like
ourselves together and not discuss goodies we find exceptional, period or
otherwise.

> I think this discussion of stuffed avocados may highlight
> what some folks have been saying about period foods. Just
> because they had the ingredients doesn't mean they combined
> them the way *we* think is obvious. The hamburger or hotdog
> and bun for instance.

Si, ja, da, exactly!  I frequently cite that sort of thing when teaching
Beginning SCA Cooking.  The usual line is something like "Lots of our favorite
things have not been discovered yet, like potatoes and corn;  and other things
were just not invented yet, like mayonnaise and sandwiches.  However, this still
leaves lots of other things we like, like French Toast..."

Selene