digby's fruitcake was Re: SC - Cheesecake judging Laurels/Competitions

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 15 16:42:11 PST 2001

Susan Fox-Davis wrote:

> How many entries were in this competition?  Were the judges nasty poo-headed
> fruitcake-haters, or just burnt-out of tasting anything at that point?  I know
> how to get fruitcake-hating fighters to try it, just soak it in brandy or rum
> and bring it to a "dry" event.  Deceptive on many levels, and I don't recommend
> it to everyone, but effective.

I don't know if there was some genetic or environmental deficiency among
the judges, or if they were simply burned out. FWIW, I was the third of
four to be judged, and they quite easily could have been somewhat jaded
at that point, but from facial expressions and tones of voice, at least
some of them appeared beyond making an effort. Others were almost
unbelievably gracious.

I found that starting the Fruitcake-Challenged off with a nice Irish
Christmas Cake (often a pale pound-type cake with added fruit. and a
coating of almond paste or marzipan, with or without an apricot glaze,
under the traditional icing), or perhaps a real steamed plum pudding,
either or both judiciously fed with healthful drams of The True, The
Blushful Hippocrene, is quite helpful. They tend to adopt that "Where
have you been all my life?" face.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy