SC - New Laurel on our List!!!

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 16 19:28:29 PST 2001

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Oops...new question <g> Must be interkingdom anthropology
> time....??Candidate's _sponsor_?
> --Maire

There may or may not be a formal relationship between the candidate and
the sponsor. In the East, what happens, generally, is that somebody
comes before the Crown and asks a boon, to wit, that such-and-such a
person be elevated to the Order of the Generic Peer. The person asking
the boon is the sponsor, and the candidate may or may not be an
apprentice, pro-teague, squire, etc. At this point the Crown, assuming
the boon is granted (and since this is generally prearranged, it would
be pretty silly if it weren't) can either ask if any representatives of
the four peerage orders will vouch for the candidate, and go straight
into the ceremony, or send the candidate on a vigil, and do the rest at
some future time.

One of the great disappointments in my time in the SCA was that my vigil
was held at a site with a large swimming pool, and I was _not_ allowed
to have a poolside vigil... ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy