SC - Re: First feasts

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Fri Jan 19 10:16:59 PST 2001

    If you have a good sized smoker, I suggest the $.88/lb briskets from
Wal-Mart. Cook 'em slow & sweet, they come out great! You'll lose about 5%
from trimming fat, but there's no bones. You can get fresh hams for around
$1/lb if you look around & catch the sales, and turkey breasts are always
popular and fairly cheap at the moment. Even if you have access to a good
kitchen, having a smoker will ease a lot of the oven load, and it's almost
impossible to oversmoke meat, as long as you keep the water pan filled.
    Since you have a fryer, think about doing some fritters (or frittroes,
if you want to be PC) or (heh, heh) turnip chips. Had a friend once who
served potato chips that had a REALLY interesting taste - when I asked, he
said that they were an experiment, and how did I like the turnips? That's
when I started asking before munching . . .
    Removes are dishes that are taken away (thus 'remove') during a course.
So just go with however many courses you want, although anything over 5 and
the workload increases dramatically. The kitchen you're working with sounds
adequate, but make sure you have enough cooking & serving vessels! Prep &
freeze will save you awesome amounts of aggravation - it's wonderful to just
heat & serve! Hey, it works for Stouffers . . .
    Presentation is a matter of 'how fancy do you want to be?'. Most folks
are happy to have the food arrive hot & quick, though you want more flash
for the High Table. Personally, I like to serve family style - a vessel of
food for each table, they serve it from there, boardinghouse style. Saves a
lot of running on the part of the servers, and portion control from the
kitchen is greatly simplified.

    Sieggy