First feasts was Re: SC - Diet Blues

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 19 11:39:03 PST 2001

Olwen the Odd wrote:

> and custom-messaged fortune cookies [we took pre-made fortune
> >cookies, steamed them open and substituted our own silliness
> >hand-written on slips of paper].
> >
> >Selene
> >
> My dear.  I have been thinking about doing something like this.  I even have
> a cataloge that has cookies you can buy with you own missives put in them.

Oh, there were such companies 20 years ago, but we didn't have the budget for
it, not just for 50 or so cookies.

> Tell me the method you used PLEASE.
> thanks

Sit on tall stools with a good friend in front of a stove with a pot of boiling
water.  Each of you has a strainer [preferably with a longish handle, steam
burns are no fun] and your fortunes.  The fortunes are written with ball-point
pen on little slips of paper, so they won't run on contact with steam.  You
place a fortune cooky onto the strainer, place it over the boiling water and let
the steam run over and through it until it is flexible.  Flex it open, take out
the old fortune, put in the new fortune and close it, steaming a little more in
case the cooky hardens while it was out of the steam.  It hardens pretty
quickly.  Voila!

Selene