SC - La Varenne

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Sun Jan 21 11:12:37 PST 2001

hey all from Anne-Marie

Adamantius says, in resonse to lilnahs questions:
>> I've been searching on the web for his book, the title of which is, i
>> think, Le cuisiner francois or  Le cuisiner francais. So far, no luck.
>>
>> Anyone know where i can find more of his recipes?
>
>Oh, Anne-Marie, he said in dulcet tones... I believe she's playing your
song...

oui, c'est moi :)

I have yet to find a published complete copy of la Varennes "le cuisinier
francois" in English. I have a copy of a microfiche that a nice grad
student boy made for me of the 1654 printed English version called "The
French Cook" (number L625, from University Microfilms International, Ann
Arbor, Michigan). There are fragments in Anne Willans "greatChefs and Their
REcipes" book (often found remaindered and well worth the money!), Barbara
Wheatons "Savoring the Past" as well as T Sarah Petersons "Aquired Taste:
The French Origins of Modern Cooking".

of course you can find some recipes from there in my recent CA, "French
Food in the Renaissance", which is also available unabridged from our local
culinary guild as a Feudal Gourmet pamphlet, from our stockclerk Eden. Send
her a nice note at raghead at liripipe.com.

In French, there is a book that contains both works attributed to Francois
de la Varenne ("le cuisinier francois" and "le patissier francois" edited
by Jean-Louis Flandrin but I havent found it yet.

is there something specific you're looking for? I can always go through my
own recipe file (oodles of which didnt make it into the CA due to space
contraints, etc)

its a WAY fun source.....:)

- --AM