SC - Re: First feasts-long

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 16:13:05 PST 2001

In a message dated 1/21/01 5:15:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mjantaya at home.com writes:

<< I'm so tired of period nazi feasts, >>

Perhaps talking to your  local cooks would get them out of the  bind of
producing early 20th century German cuisine and steer them toward  more
authentic pre-17th century food?

<<where everything is redacted from 5 centuries ago, >>

I can understand your frustration. Early modern cookery holds little interest
for me either. There are several pre-1450 CE manuscripts which would provide
you with  hundreds of mouth watering deliscious medieval recipes as an
alternative to the  relatively bland food of the early modern period.

<<and with it nothing edible >>

This is, of course, the result of bad cooking. It has NOTHING to do with the
period of history the recipe comes from.

<<or to the taste of modern palates. >>

Define, please. The 'modern' palette is a myth often used for describing
personal dislikes or for describing food not common to localized culture.

Given the hundreds of recipes currently available in worked out versions
anyone who can both read and cook has the ability in the modern world to
reproduce a mouthwatering historically accurate feast without resorting to
modern dishes, IMO. Exposure to bad cooks, experimental redactions, and
misinformed authors is often the cause for rejection of period food. Lack of
cooperation on a local level can also be  a factor. Most certainly,
incompatibility to the  mythical 'modern' palette (which . is not
infrequently simply an 'untrained' palette) is not.

Many of the most accomplished cooks in the Known World post  moth-watering
recipes and redactions to this list  with regularity. If using recipes from
published books seem to produce bad results, use the ones on this list.
Adamtius, myself, Gunthar, Dame Alys, Brighid, ad infinitum, have all posted
original, redacted recipes to this list (all of which are deliscious when
cooked, all indicated as such are period). Why rely on published infornmtion
that is several years old when you have the advantage of  using the latest
redactions, current research, and state of the art information generated by
the Cooks list on a daily basis?

I am sorry your  bad experiences in the past may have turned you off to the
world of period cookery. I do hope you  will give us a chance to show you how
wonderful period food can be and help you come to enjoy the food that was fit
for a King!

Yours in Service to the Dream,
al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib

Ras