SC - Re: First feasts

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 22 15:15:33 PST 2001

> > Now _there's an interesting potential topic....so, everyone, what did
>y'all do for _your_ first feast?
>--Maire >>>>>>

My first feast was almost 4 years ago, for the Feast of St. George.  I'd
been in the SCA as well as on this list for about a year at the time.  I'd
done a standard cold meat/cheese/bread lunch the winter before.

Because of friends with food issues, serving a varied menu that did not
exclude them or cause much extra work for me was my personal challenge.
Stefan has a write up of this in the Florilegium, under Feasts, from which I
snipped this.   I wish now I had better references than 'as posted here', I
probably do, on paper.

#dairy free
*veggie friendly
@ onion-free

The First Course
          Ciambelles #*@
          Split pea soup (from The Medieval Kitchen) #*@
          Boiled Beef with onions and mushrooms #(@ if requested in advance)
          Skirrets, Rapes and Pasternakes (as posted here)# (*@ if
requested)
          Tartys in Applis (also posted here) #*@

          (why are skirrets, rapes and pasternakes not vegetarian food?
Because they are cooked in good broth from the beef,  unless otherwise
requested.)

          The Second Course
          Roast Chicken #@
          Sallet of Spring Greens and Fresh Herbs #*(@ if requested)
          Asparagus and Green Onion (Medieval  Kitchen)#*(@ if requested)
          A French Custard (Fettiplace)*@
          Bread #*@

          The Final Course
          Bisket Bread (Fettiplace) #*@
          Mato (Sweetened goat cheese) *@ (#?)
          Garnish of violets #*@

          (Whether or not goat cheese qualified as safe I left for Corwyn to
decide himself)

          False Hippocras to drink (a spiced "wine" punch for a dry site)#*@

Bonne