SC - Green eggs and what? (was: Painful food related item)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Jan 22 17:29:46 PST 2001

Back in early December, Brighid wrote:

[most of Dr. Suess parody omitted]

>So if you're a Jewish Dr. Seuss fan,
>But troubled by green eggs and ham.
>Let your friends in on the scoop:
>Green eggs taste best with chicken soup!
>
>- - -
>
>Turning this back to period food, I believe there are some medieval
>recipes for
>herb omelettes and such that would fit the description of "green eggs".
>
>Brighid

How about:

Green Bruet of Eggs and Cheese
Menagier p. M-22

Take parsley and a little cheese and sage and a very small amount of
saffron, moistened bread, and mix with water left from cooking peas,
or stock, grind and strain: And have ground ginger mixed with wine,
and put on to boil; then add cheese and eggs poached in water, and
let it be a bright green. Item, some do not add bread, but instead of
bread use bacon.

3 T parsley
1/2 oz cheese, grated
3 small leaves fresh sage
5 threads saffron
2 thin slices = 1.5 oz white bread
2 c pea stock or dilute chicken stock
1/8 t ginger
1 T white wine
1 3/4 oz cheese, grated
3 eggs

Soak bread in stock (either water left from cooking peas or 1/2 c
canned chicken broth + 1 1/2 c water). Grind parsley, sage, and
saffron in a mortar thoroughly; add 1/2 oz cheese and soaked bread
and grind together. Strain through a strainer; if necessary, put back
in mortar what didn't go through, grind again, and strain again. Mix
wine and ginger, add to mixture, and bring to a boil over moderate
heat; be careful that it does not stick to the bottom. Stir in the
rest of the cheese; break eggs into soup, and continue to simmer
until eggs are poached.
It's really quite good, but it looks a bit odd: poached eggs in a
thick green soup.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook
- --
David Friedman