SC - raingear (OT)

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Tue Jan 23 00:28:17 PST 2001

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Luanne Cupp Bartholomew wrote:

> Basically, it has to do with the way the wool is prepared before
> spinning. Worsted wool (yes, the stuff from which most modern
> men's suits are made) are spun so the fibers are caught tightly
> in the yarn and so the fabric does not felt easily. The other way
> of preparing and spinning wool leaves a lot of fuzzy loose ends,
> which easily tangle into felt on the surface of the fabric.

Possibly on topic as to what do do with the rest of the sheep once
you've eaten the contents.

Two different ways here: are you talking of felting wool, or felting a
fabric?. I've actually only ever done the second[1], but it works very
well. Just lay of carded wool in two directions, dampen with warm soapy
water and start working it gently until it has stablized. Fun but messy
(soapy water all over the place). For a cloak I'd probably do the
roll method.

/UlfR
 tends to do the "wool clothes and ignore it" school of raingear

[1] It is far too easy to get good quality felted fabrics here in
Sweden for me to have felt the need yet. Should try it though.

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se
Think honk if you're a telepath.