SC - Ivanhoe

Nisha Martin nishamartin at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 11:01:58 PST 2001

Hi

Was this the Ivanhoe with Liz taylor playing the
jewish girl?(I cant remmber her name) I saw it for the
first time too, and I thought it was pretty well done
for the time it was made as well. I didn't see the
story you mentioned tho, thanks for sharing.
Nisha

I was watching TV the other night, and there were two
movies on, loosely dealing with my period.  "Lion in
Winter" - a classic, and a video in my tape
collection, and "Ivanhoe", which I had never seen
before. I was amazed at how good everything
in the movie looked, with the exception of the cut of
the women's dresses 50's darts and um, how to say this
delicately, breasts of distinction?).
 At the end, a commentator came on and said how they
had done a remarkable amount of research on the film
(especially remarkable for Hollywood at the time) and
he told a little anecdote from the filiming. It seems
that when the whole place sat down for the feast
scene, period foods were brought in, including roasted
meats and vegetables.  One assistant spotted an error
in the roasted potatoes,  and the filming  was
halted while the research was checked.  Sure enough,
potatoes were deemed wrong, and they were all removed
and replaced with baked apples!I was terribly
impressed by this story, and just had to share.
Cheers!
Christianna