SC - butter and garlic

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Jan 23 20:52:31 PST 2001

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain responded to me with:
> And it came to pass on 21 Jan 01, , that Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, I don't think we have any evidence for roasted garlic use
> > in period. I'd love to see some, as I like roasted garlic.
> [snip]
> > In the PLANTS, HERBS AND SPICES section:
> > garlic-msg        (43K)  1/12/01    Medieval use of garlic. Garlic storage.
>
> Actually, in that Florilegium file, there are a couple of messages
> from me, listing sauces in Nola which contain roasted garlic.  But
> perhaps you meant that there was no evidence for roasted garlic
> mixed with butter as a spread for bread?

I was specifically thinking of roasting garlic and then spreading it
on bread. I hadn't even thought of the fact that garlic might be roasted
and then used for other purposes. Interesting. That would seem to
increase the chances of finding some evidence of roasted garlic being
spread on bread, someday.

What I was remembering was the quantity of garlic that is boiled.

(If my memory was better, I wouldn't NEED the Florilegium. :-) )

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net