SC - Alcohol in cooking

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 17:08:39 PST 2001

- --- LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> The myth is not that  ALL the alcohol goes away but
> rather the REAL myth is
> that any amounts remain which would be legally a
> problem. Since the  legal
> bottomline percentage is 1 percent, alcohol used in
> cooking is really not a
> factor to consider in any point that matters to a
> generalk population.

Alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water,
so if the liquid ingredients are brought to a boil,
almost all of the alcohol will be driven off as
alcohol vapor.  If you are boiling in a closed
container (i.e. with a lid on it), some alcohol may
condense on the inside of the lid and drop back down
into the mix.  However, as Ras has mentioned, the
amount of trace alcohol remaining in a given dish
which has been thoroughly cooked is so minute, it
should not even be considered.  Or I'm wrong :)

My Home made Rum cake, on the other hand, will
certainly put you into a state...

Balthazar of Blackmoor