SC - raingear

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Jan 24 12:30:34 PST 2001

At 16:58 -0800 2001-01-22, Chris Stanifer wrote:
> --- Stefan li Rous <stefan at texas.net> wrote:
>
> > My current solution is a cloak lined with a military
> > blanket and
> > heavily Scotch guarded (actually a competing brand).

Once I struck camp in a drenching downpour.  It had been raining
since 6 pm the previous evening.  There was 1.5 inches of standing
water amid the grass, and I was out there in the heavy rain for at
least half an hour.

I wore my clothes-least-likely-to-be-ruined-by-rain, namely my
oldest garb covered with a medium-length light wool cloak with an
ordinary white cotton liner, neither layer treated with anything
special.

To my utter surprise, when I disrobed inside a cook shack in order
to change into dry clothes, I found that I was completely dry from
mid-thigh upwards!  And the cloak, while wet, wasn't a soggy mess.

I'm not sure I'd trust the combination if my life was at stake,
but clearly simple wool with a cotton liner has some excellent
rain resistant properties.

- --
All my best,
Thorvald Grimsson / James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net> (PGP user)