SC - cheap cheese?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 18:55:03 PST 2001

- --- LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
> Standard Time,
> oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:
>
> << So when the autocrat said her only  stipulation
> about the feast was no
> damned cheap cheese chunks, I knew my road would be
> easy. >>
>
> Obviously your autocrat hasn't priced cheese lately.
> :-) A perfect example of
> leaving the  menu/purchase descision in the hands of
> the Kitchen Steward, IMO.
>
> BTW, if he/she really does have access to 'cheap'
> cheese, I would love to
> know the source.......
>
> Ras

Up until a couple of years ago, there was a man who
sold government surplus cheese from a refrig. truck.
He had a different location for every day of the week.
He was legit, with a business license and all the
proper paperwork.  He sold his cheese in 10-20 lbs
blocks of which you had to buy the whole block, but at
$1 per lb., it was a good deal.  And he usually had
quite a selection.  If he didn't have it that week, he
could get you what you wanted within a week or so.  He
retired a couple of years ago and all of his regular
customers cried when no one bought his business, so we
had to go back to buying cheese at exorbitant prices
again.  Sigh.  Perhaps at a local farmer's market [one
of those once a week thingees where farmers bring
their produce and sell it from their truck], you might
find another similar entrepeneur.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.