SC - Myths -- Taillevent

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 25 23:36:40 PST 2001

At 16:49 -0500 2001-01-25, Daniel Phelps wrote:

> My 1961 edition (English Translation) says that he was under Charles VI
> "premier ecuyer de cuisine et maistre des garisons de cuisine de France"  It
> translates that as "head cook and master of the garrisons of France".  While
> I do not read French the translation does not seem to scan.

The French is not even an accurate copy of the quotation in Pichon
and Vicaire, which ends "... de cuisine du roy".

The French would translate as "first squire of the kitchen, and
master of the kitchen stores of the king [of France]".

You are right that the alleged English translation doesn't match.

- --
All my best,
Thorvald Grimsson / James Prescott <prescotj at telusplanet.net> (PGP user)