SC - OOP Burns Day

Christina Nevin cnevin at caci.co.uk
Fri Jan 26 07:04:37 PST 2001

Like Stefan, I also ate Haggis for the first time yesterday.
In a fit of adventurism, I purchased it from my game company last time I did
a mass order for a feast. It was made by a Scottish company and was the full
traditional lights, livers and oats in stomach deal, so as a self-confessed
liver detester (except for foie gras of course) I was interested to see if I
would find it edible. Wanting to spread the pain, er, I mean, indulge in
convivial company, I invited a couple of friends around at the last minute
to share my Burns Night dinner.
We started off with raw smoked salmon on rye bread with creme fraiche (just
'cos I like it), then for main had Tatties and psuedo-Neeps - mashed Swede,
because there were no turnips for sale (weird for this time of year, but
hey, the Swede was grown in Scotland so I figure its still in keeping with
the theme). Also the aforementioned 1.5 lb Haggis, which I had wrapped in
tinfoil and boiled for 3 hours. The skin had split off, but the Haggis
stayed together as I cut it.
And it was delicious. I was surprised by the taste, dark, rich and quite
spicy, with a wonderful texture  - little nubs of oat bound together with a
thick paste of meat. Not too 'liverish' but definitely distinctive. I'm very
glad I tried it - and it's just as well I like it as there's another in the
freezer!
Dinner was finished off with peaches soaked in my Dad's famous Whiskey
(usually brandy) Sauce and the toast was given in good ol' Glenfiddich (I
told them they weren't getting my good stuff cos neither of them were 'real'
whiskey drinkers - nobody gets the Dalwhinnies but me! <evil grin>).
Needless to say, I'm a little under the weather this morning <looks at
clock>, oops, this afternoon, but I think this is definitely the way to
spend the 25th of January. Maybe a few more people & a bit more tartan next
year....

Ciao
Lucrezia

This electronic message contains information from CACI International Inc or
subsidiary companies, which may be confidential, proprietary,
privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure.  The information is
intended to be used solely by the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not
an intended recipient, be aware that any review, disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this transmission or its contents is prohibited.  If
you have received this transmission in error, please notify us immediately
at postmaster at caci.co.uk

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail and
attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good
computing practice the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.