SC - raingear

UlfR parlei-sc at algonet.se
Sun Jan 28 10:27:09 PST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Stefan li Rous wrote:

> preferable. Of course a lot of this is probably getting off topic, so
> private email would be fine.

I'll answer this in private email.

> What might be appropriate for this list, would be what you do for food.
> I assume you don't survive on just ration bars. I assume the enviornment

What ration bars? I said clothes only, and that's what we had.

Main source of carbohydrates -- and thus energy -- was lichen (mainly
Cetaria islandica and Bryoria fuscescenes). Also some roots (dandelion
and Anthriscus sylvestris being the most common ones).

> you do this in is probably not that far off from what the Norse
> particularly in outlying settlements faced. Although you are probably
> not doing this in winter, correct? But the Norse settlements probably
> would be a bit more settled and have more amenities than you have.

Not really under most conditions. Remember, they  were from a farming
culture, where lifestock and crops was the main source of food under
normal conditions. In times of famine or diaster the situation might
have been different.

/UlfR

- --
Par Leijonhufvud                                      parlei at algonet.se