SC - Overbooking

Clotilda Suessionensis clotild_of_soissons at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 20:46:13 PST 2001

I wrote:
> >We were told that the numbers would be in the 30-50
> >range based on past kick-off dinners.  Well,
> >...the week prior to the event, the numbers
> >climbed ... and climbed ... and suddenly,
> >there were 81 attendees.

Lady Liadnan responded,

> I'm happy to see you were able to accomodate the
> extra feasters, as did my Shire in the example
> I gave.  I just know this situation could cause
> me great mental distress...especially if it
> happens my first time out.

Oh, absolutely.  I wasn't exactly the most pleasant
person to be around when I found out the final count.
;)  We discussed the issue with the church
co-ordinator, and if we do this next year (there's a
good possibility we will) then there a maximum number
of attendees will be set and adhered to, and the
dinner itself will be used as a fundraiser.

Fortunately for me, the foods could be stretched a bit
(we sliced the chicken pies in 8 rather than 6 pieces,
for example) and my cooking team was great about
keeping a sense of humor and fun in the kitchen.  :)

And, by the way, it was a lot of fun - the musicians
(who were in a minstrel's gallery over the crowd) and
the servers had a great time, as did the guests for
the meal.  Some of us were heard to say we'd had more
fun doing this than we'd had at many SCA-only
feasts... then again, a wildly appreciative audience
does help.  ;)

- - Lady Clotild

=====
Clotilda Suessionensis