SC - possets

Mark S. Harris stefan at texas.net
Mon Jan 29 22:04:17 PST 2001

Daniel Raoul said:
> Try the sack posset recipe, I recommend it.  I've done it, the redaction was
> quite straight forward and it came out quite well.  It was like a very thick
> cooked eggnog.  I don't know what page it is on, I've mislaid my copy, but
> it calls for 14 egg yolks and 7 egg whites.  I've done it with both sherry
> and brandy by the way.  The only thing you have to do is be careful to stir
> it as it sets and not burn it.  I suspect it would be easier to make in a
> double boiler but have not done so.

We very briefly talked about possets in the early days of this list. It
is my understanding that most of these are past-1600 AD, but I'd be
interested in seeing more recipes, redactions and experiences especially
if the recipes are period.

Here is the file in the BEVERAGES section of the Florilegium:
caudles-art       (12K) 11/21/97    A medieval drink of warm wine or
beer
                                       thickened with eggs by Tibor.

Hmm. Well this is the file I was thinking of, but it is talking about
a caudle not a posset. Is the differance between a caudle and a posset
that the first uses beer or wine whereas the second uses a distilled
or at least a "fortified" liquor?

- --
THL Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net